Department of Social Services
The Bergenfield Social Services Department works within the guidelines of the New Jersey Department of Human Services, to assist individuals and families to meet their basic needs. Our program is based on emergency need. In the last few years we have helped many families in Bergenfield who have lost their jobs and homes due to the decline in the economy.
Our guidelines are minimal we do have an intake form filled out with our cases and assess each family’s needs on a case by case basis. We require proof of residence in Bergenfield and Proof of Income.
- We advocate for families and interact with various county agencies such as Bergen County Board of Social Services, NJ family Care, WIC, PSEG etc. we also refer our clients to various Food Pantry’s and churches within Bergen county.
- We Provide Information to parents for Child Care Resource and Referral Agencies in Bergenfield.
Social Services also offers the following seasonal programs:
- School Supply Drive: This program is for children aged 1 through high school, we provide the needed supplies at the request of the parents. Donations are made available by residents and various organizations in the town.
- Thanksgiving: Registered households receive gift cards and food during the Thanksgiving season. Donations are made available through the various churches in Bergen County.
- Christmas: This program is for families with children ages infant through high school we provide gifts and gift cards. In addition, Santa's helpers are usually able to include hats and gloves, books or games and hygiene products. For this program Bergenfield Social Services partners with various organizations that donate gifts and gift cards. Registration is required to participate in this program.
We are available year round and are located in the Administration office and Health Department 2nd floor of the Borough Hall.
Hours of operation are 8:30am- 4:30pm Monday – Friday.
Child Health Conference**
The Child Health Clinic is where you can bring your child from ages 2 months to 5 years old to receive healthy child check-ups, childhood immunizations, anemia and lead screenings, and other essential health screenings. Services are provided by the Borough physician and the Public Health Nurses.
The CHC is held once a month, by appointment only. There is a $5.00 fee for each visit. Proof of residency is required.
School-Age Immunization Clinic**
The Health Department provides school aged children with vaccines necessary to attend schools in New Jersey. These vaccines include Tetanus, Polio, Measles, Mumps and Rubella, Hepatitis B and Varicella. Tuberculosis screening is available as required by the NJ Department of Health guidelines.
The School-Aged Immunization Clinic is also by appointment only. There is a $5.00 fee for each visit. Proof of residency is required.
**These services are for children who do not have health insurance coverage, OR who are covered by a health insurance plan that does not cover immunizations.
The Public Health Nurse is responsible for auditing immunization records for the private, public, parochial schools, and daycare centers within the Borough of Bergenfield in accordance with the NJ Department of Health regulations.
W.I.C is a health nutrition program that provides education, nutritious food and improved access to health care for low or moderate-income pregnant women, new mothers and children younger than five years of age. Bergenfield is a registered WIC site.
Representatives are here on the 2nd and 4th Mondays to evaluate individual cases for the WIC program.
Public Health Nurses assist in screening the mothers and children for height, weight and anemia blood testing.
NJ Family Care Insurance representatives are here on the 4th Monday to accept completed applications, and assist participants in completing NJ Family Care applications.
Please callfor additional information, and to set up an appointment to meet with the WIC representatives.
Adult Health Services
Blood pressure screenings and adult health assessments are provided on Thursdays at the walk in clinic located at 293 Murray Hill Terrace 1st floor. These health assessments are done by the Public Health Nurse. Our focus is on preventative health care to include client teaching regarding diseases, and referrals and community services as needed.
Periodic adult health screenings include:
- Skin Cancer, Vision / Hearing screening.
- All Flu shots and Adult vaccines are available by appointment only.
- All Adult Vaccines cost $20.00 (administration fee)
The Public Health Nurse is responsible for extensive investigation and follow-up, in accordance with the NJ Department of Health regulations, for all communicable diseases.
These diseases include Hepatitis B and C, Food-Borne illnesses, Lyme disease, Pertussis, and human contact with rabies. All investigations are completed in full compliance with the HIPAA regulations for confidentiality, and entered into the NJ Communicable Disease Reporting and Surveillance System.
Food Handlers & Food Managers Course
The Health Department is responsible for conducting routine inspections of Retail Food Establishments in accordance with NJ State law.
The Food Handlers & Food Managers class is offered by Bergen County Health services located at:
Bergen County Department of Health Services
One Bergen County Plaza • 4th Floor • Hackensack, NJ 07601-7076
Phone: • Fax: